Thursday, April 1, 2010

A holiday to 'celebrate' a guy being killed painfully 2000 years ago...

Happy good Friday to you all. I hope that Jesus brings you all the hot cross buns you could ask for, because that's what it's all about.

Seriously though at the moment, I'm sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to religion at the moment, which really does show how easily I am influenced by what I read and what I see.

On one hand, I (to be honest) begun to read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. This is not an easy read, and I did try to perservere, I really did. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what he writes makes a lot of sense. And I consider myself to be in the same position he is, spiritually speaking, i.e., while, scientifically speaking it has yet to be proven that God doesn't exist, I have trouble believing in an Almighty Presence that controls the Universe, so, statistically speaking, probably around 90% atheist.

At some point, when I am older and have more patience, I'll try again.

On the other hand, I'm currently reading The Life of Pi - given, I'm only half way through, but the beauty that Pi views religion with is amazing. His ability to see the best in, while perhaps not people, but in religious ideals is truly breath-taking, and his ability to enjoy the three faiths really does make me jealous to an extent in my own lack of faith. Well, perhaps that's the wrong way to view it - I simply admire those that have faith.

I know I'm only partially through and there's more to come, but he definitely points out both the positive and negative of religion - the scene on the beach with the Three Wise Men is a good example of the exclusive nature of religions.

So yes, stuck between a rock and a hard place - I don't believe in a God per se, but there is a lot to be said for the beauty of a set of beliefs which preaches love of thy fellow man.

Ah book club, where would I be without you?

1 comment:

  1. "... [T]here is a lot to be said for the beauty of a set of beliefs which preaches love of thy fellow man." Very true, but does not actually require a theistic deity...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jpfGqIfIA
    I love the idea that the ACTUAL wonder and beauty of the cosmos is on a much more awe-inspiring level than the 'miracles' that 'prove' the existence of god. Of course, we have the knowledge to think on a much vaster scale now.

    ReplyDelete