Saturday, April 10, 2010

Paul Henry's an arse.

Not that you didn't know that already, but I felt it needed to be said. What's really disturbing is now that TV3 has cancelled Sunrise, Paul Henry will be given validity to spew forth whatever un-PC nonsence he feels on inflicting upon the public.

I completely understand the justification for cancelling the show. TV3 is a commercial entity - unlike TVNZ they actually have to make a profit on their shows, and when Breakfast is almost doubling Sunrise's ratings most mornings, I understand that it's just not a feasible venture. I just think it's disappointing that in New Zealand we don't have enough public support in order to offer two substantially different products in this timeslot (although it has been argued relatively effectively that there just wasn't enough difference between the two shows). We can do it at 7pm (although they're both rubbish), why are we unable to do so in the morning?

I must admit, I did enjoy Sunrise. I felt they were beginning to get the formula right. Admittedly I'm pretty much exactly the demographic they were aiming for (A liberal 18-35 year old pakeha), but Oliver Driver and Carly Flynn were actually intelligent, had personality and were able to present both views of an argument relatively effectively. It was obviously coming a mile off that the show wasn't effective, and many argue (how very Fox News of me) that changes were needed.

And now of course Paul Henry rules the airwaves in the time slot. If one wishes to watch breakfast TV, they're gonna have to put up with this right-wing shennanegans. Even more reason I guess to listen to National Radio.

6 comments:

  1. So you're complaining its Paul Henry's fault, even though Paul Henry doesn't make the final decision on whether the show goes or stays? Based on a very flimsy "may" used in the original article? ;-)

    And whatever Paul Henry's going to say is automatically crap just because its Paul Henry? I for one welcome our new un-PC right-wing overlord :P

    Its amazing we didn't tear each others throats out back at the Terrace :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Mr. Ren, I am not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that it would be nice to have an alternate point of view to the right-wing shock-jockey tactics of Henry. I welcome Paul Henry to say what he likes, it's a democracy after all, what I'm saying is it would be nice if there was a balance, and it seems a shame that New Zealand isn't able to provide this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Corry... nice to see your Blog going live!

    By the way, "Henry's an arse" Is that the correct use of an apostrophe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Yes, it is. Contraction of 'Henry is'.

    "Breakfast thrashed Sunrise in the ratings wars, with the TV3 offering never able compete. On Tuesday, Breakfast had 169,600 viewers, well up on Sunrise's 21,490."

    Almost doubling? You maths do good. Blimmin' arts graduates. :P

    Also, "Approximately 90% of TVNZ's revenue is from commercial activity (such as advertising and merchandising). The remainder of its funding comes from government funding agencies" [for charter programming]. They are required to pay a dividend to the Govt.

    If you want choice, may I suggest the Internet? Way less infomercials for ladders and magnetic crap, and you get to pick the ideological bubble you wish to reside in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have had the technical inaccuracies of my post pointed out to me by several readers already, but thank you nonetheless.

    I'm preferring now to listen to Morning Report. I do realise that there is a slight rightward leaning to their morning show, but it's better than Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What's on at 7?" said the ignorant American.

    ReplyDelete